Thursday, September 10, 2009

The 200 Lunge Workout

In the real world, things don't always go as planned or anticipated, and you have to make adjustments on the fly and adapt. This is true in every area of life, but particularly so when it comes to getting workouts in. I was scheduled to train lower body today, and was looking forward to devoting a full hour to my workout, which would include a 15 minute dynamic warm-up prior to hitting the heavy strength training. However, my client training schedule fell apart, I had to fit in a couple more clients already this morning, and I have a few more later on today who asked to come in at different times. Bottom line: my anticipated 1 hour workout later on isn't going to happen.

Instead of saying "screw it", I adapted my workout and fit it into a 20 minute window I had open between clients about an hour ago. If you value something and prioritize it, you find a way to make it happen. Anyway, I needed a quick lower body workout with a built in warm-up. Here is what I did:

Body weight walking lunge: 20 steps (10 each leg)
Rest 30 sec.
Walking lunge holding 10 lb. dumbbells: 20 steps (10 each leg)
Rest 30 sec.
Walking lunge holding 20 lb. dumbbells: 20 steps (10 each leg)
Rest 30 sec.
Walking lunge holding 30 lb. dumbbells: 20 steps (10 each leg)
Rest 30 sec.
Walking lunge holding 40 lb. dumbbells: 20 steps (10 each leg)
Rest 30 sec.

You get the picture. I continued in this format through 80 lb. dumbbells and then finished with 10 split jump lunges for 10 reps on each leg. 200 reps total. About 22 minutes to complete. Was this an ideal and perfectly balanced lower body workout? No. Did it get the job done and allow me to get some work in? Yes. I actually really liked this because the first 3-4 sets served as warm-ups, and, by the fifth set, my knees were "lubed up" and I was really in a groove. The last 3-4 sets really challenged me. Give this workout a shot (and adapt it to your own fitness level) if you are ever strapped for time.

http://www.personaltrainerscincinnati.com

No comments: