Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Truth About "Core" Training

I received another great question from one of my readers and I thought it-and my answer-would make for a good post.

P. J. 


Just getting into this "fitness thing" and your blog has some great stuff. I have a question.  I've been considering hiring a fitness trainer to hold me accountable. I went and met with one last night for a consultation and gym tour. The trainer was nice enough and seemed knowledgeable, but she must have said the word "core" two dozen times in the 45 minutes I was there. As she was walking me around the gym, she kept telling me how various pieces of equipment would work my core, and she kept pointing to people working out there and telling me that the exercises they were doing would work my core. She even went so far as to say she and her trainers specialize in core training. 


I know I'm new to all of this fitness stuff (this is the first time I've really decided to start exercising in my whole life), but I'm a little confused by all this core stuff. The trainer, who owns the facility, basically told me core exercises target the lower back and abs. Is this right? Is there anything special about core specialization training, as promoted by this trainer? Any insight you could provide would be helpful. I want to strengthen and tone my abs, and my back has given me trouble, but, before I make a decision on hiring this trainer, I just want to make sure I'm not being "over sold" and that she's going to be a good fit. Thanks.


Lisa (Lake Tahoe)

Lisa:

You ask a lot of good questions here and I know it can be a bit intimidating going into a gym and meeting with a super special fitness trainer for the first time. Let me shed some light on this whole "core" training thing for you.

About 15-20 years ago (maybe longer) the phrase "core training" became very fashionable/hip/trendy within the fitness industry. This phrase was then passed along to the general public by trainers, employees of gyms, etc. An entire industry was really developed from the "core craze". You started to see various pieces of equipment hit the market which would "work your core". You had (and still have) trainers within the fitness industry, much like the one you met with, "specializing" in the core. The phrase started popping up in popular mainstream  health oriented magazines. It became the "go to" word for pilates and yoga instructors (and still is).

Here is the deal: don't get "dazzled" and wide eyed when a trainer uses the word "core" (although they may want you to). Actually, before I go any further, allow me explain what the core really is.

If you asked a dozen fitness trainers what the "core" is, you would likely get a dozen answers. Your potential trainer's interpretation-exercises which work the abs and low back-isn't entirely wrong...BUT it's far from correct (at least in my opinion).

The best description of the core I ever heard, and I forget where I heard it, has to do with the older (and larger) G. I. Joe action figures and Barbie dolls. Basically, if you rip the head, arms, and legs off of a G. I. Joe or a Barbie doll, WHAT'S LEFT IS THE CORE.

So, the "core" is NOT just the abs and low back. It also is made up of the glutes, the muscles which act on the scapulae, among many others (I'm not going to give you an anatomy lesson as it would be boring).

So, if we go with that description and definition, really, the vast majority of exercises work the core to one extent or the other. Chin-ups work the core. Deadlifts work the core. So do squats, rows, push-ups, overhead presses, etc. I could name several hundred.

Furthermore, just like some folks "were country before country was cool", core training has been around since the infancy of weight training. It just had not been given a "label" yet. It couldn't be sold (yet). Old time strongmen and bodybuilders-pioneers of fitness and physical culture-were doing plenty of core training (and knew more about it) before "core training was cool". Trust me, core training existed well before the Bosu, stability and Bender ball.

So, for your prospective trainer to tell you she "specializes" in core training, well, she isn't exactly separating herself from other trainers. Every trainer, unless they have you lie still on the floor the entire workout, gives adequate attention to the core (hell, you could make the argument walking works your core). It's basically impossible not to, as almost every multiple joint exercise (and may single joint exercises) will involve the core musculature (if we go by the G. I. Joe definition) to some extent.

http://www.personaltrainerscincinnati.com/

2 comments:

Trainer James said...

Great explanation! I have been a trainer for many years and it drives me crazy that new clients come in and ask, "Will you workout my core?" so, it goes both ways, what with all the magazines and movie stars always talking about core workouts. A good trainer will strengthen your entire body, and a good nutrition plan will flatten your tummy. The "blue pill" of weigt loss does not exsist without giving up some other form of health, like your heart or your sanity!

Thanksfor the great blog. I follow it constantly.

postzoom said...

We are looking for great blogs and we would love it if you registered yours with us.

PostZoom is a directory of the best blog posts which helps readers find great blog posts and our goal is to help blog owners drive more traffic to their blog.

If you are interested in joining, please check us out!

Thanks,
Eric Castelli
PostZoom