Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Principles...Not Methods. It All Comes Down to Consistency and Progression.

"Progression is the law of growth. Whoever accedes to that law will succeed."

The quote above is from early 1900's iconic strongman George Jowett. 

Although the popularity of fitness, strength & conditioning, and athletic performance training has exploded, especially within the last 10 years on the internet, there is now so much information out there that the typical, well intentioned gym goer who wants to get results is very confused and is suffering from information overload. There are so many programs out there, so many "factions", so many gurus, most beginner to intermediate trainees and fitness enthusiasts just have no idea what to do and are not seeing very much in the way of results. They jump from program to program each week, focusing on goals which are 360 degrees different. One week they are into metabolic circuits. The next it's all about kettlebells. The week after that they are convinced 5/3/1, Westside, Sheiko or Metal Militia is the answer. They they want to get huge and try Doggcrapp, FST-7, or something like that.

George Jowett, even way back in the early 1900's, had it figured out...and the vast majority of trainees out there should take his advice. Everyone is caught up in the methods of training and are not focusing on the principles:

  • Consistent training
  • Overload
  • Progression
  • A "take no prisoners" mindset 
  • A focus on big basic multiple joint exercises
  • Training the entire body in a balanced fashion
  • Keeping a good training log
  • Always trying to improve, in some way, from workout to workout
 I got an email from a reader the other day which led to this post. Check it out:

"P. J., is there anything really "wrong" with using some machines in my training. My gym has a line of Hammer Strength and Nautilus equipment, and I just feel like I need a little physiological and psychological variety. I'm kind of bored with using all free weights, body weight exercises, kettlebells etc. However, I've read over and over that machines are a waste of time, will ruin your athleticism, and can lead to injuries. Also, I'm sick of sprinting, dragging sleds, and doing high intensity interval training for my conditioning. I'd like to use some of the normal cardio equipment at my gym as a change of pace. However, once again, I've read over and over how steady state cardio is a waste of time and that regular cardio equipment is overrated and can lead to injuries (like treadmills). What's your take?"

J. T. from Rhode Island

In the early years of my training, 90% of it was done on machines. I supplemented the machine work with the full barbell squat and the barbell bench press. I got strong as hell from an absolute standpoint (although my relative strength is better now), and was probably muscularly as large as I ever was (although I was carrying some fat). You know why it worked? Progressive overload and a mindset that I absolutely was going to get stronger every workout. I trained hard. I trained progressively. I didn't miss workouts. I did a balance of pushing, pulling and lower body work. 

In the later (and most recent) years of my training, I moved to training in a more "21st century" model as promoted by the likes of Mike Boyle, Alwyn Cosgrove, Eric Cressey, Tony Gentilcore, Mike Robertson, etc. As I noted above, my relative strength is as good as it has ever been, and my body definitely feels better. Wanna know why this worked (and works)? Again, progressive overload. I trained hard (and still do). I didn't miss workouts. I trained my entire body in a balanced fashion. I kept a good training log. I didn't-and don't-jump from program to program. I give a program 4-6 weeks, take a deload, evaluate things, and then start on something new.

It's not about the training tool(s). It's not about the methods. It's not about flashy, 21st century fitness terminology. It's not about affiliating yourself with one training philosophy or guru. It's about the principles of sound training, and, most importantly about trying to be progressive. George Jowett knew this, but it seems as if everyone else has missed his message.

Specifically regarding your questions, no, I don't think there is anything wrong with using some selectorized or plate loaded machines in your training, especially as an adjunct or supplement to big basic barbell and dumbbell exercises. You are not going to end up "non functional" if you perform a few sets of Hammer Strength rows, Nautilus lat pulldowns, and Pendulum leg presses each week, especially if it's only for a period of time. Heck, you might even actually enjoy it and it will jump start your enthusiasm. You may find you train harder.

Use a variety of tools. As long as a tool or type of equipment is used progressively, and you give each exercise your all, in my opinion, there is nothing inherently "wrong" with using any training tool, implement, or piece of equipment. If you go from using 180 lbs. on the hammer strength row for 10 reps to using 210 lbs. on the hammer row 5 weeks later for the same 10 reps, you've gotten stronger. Again, it's not the tool or piece of equipment...it's how the tool is used.

The same goes for cardio. I've wrote extensively on this blog about HIIT, interval work, conditioning, etc. There is nothing wrong, in my opinion, with doing some steady state cardio for a period of time, as long as it's progressive and not excessive. If you work at 90 rpm's on an elliptical trainer for 10:00 at level 10, and, 5 weeks later, you are working at 90 rpm's at level 15 for the same 10:00, chances are, you are in better condition.

The problem is, many people buy into a certain way of doing things, never vary their training, and get in the habit of only using one tool or piece of equipment-both strength and conditioning-all the time. I think it's fine to mix and match equipment, vary the type of conditioning you do, etc. In fact, I think it's a great approach from both a physiological and psychological perspective. Remember, as long as you are progressive, and are asking more of your body, week in and week out, I don't think it matters all that match.

Go against the grain a bit. Do what you enjoy, what you'll work hard at. Just because "big time trainer X" says you should never do something...doesn't mean you should never do something. Hope this helps.
 
http://www.personaltrainerscincinnati.com

3 comments:

Thazae said...

Thanks for this post! I do a lot of reading: blogs, articles, books, etc. and it always seems that there is something new. By coincidence I have decided to take an approach much like the one you have set out here. I, now, think of it like training for any art. Train hard, master the basics, and constantly strive to improve. Thanks for a great reminder!

Hadi shaikh said...

Personal trainer lexington Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info.

Charli james said...

You completed a few fine points there. I did a search on the subject and found nearly all persons will go along with with your blog. clenbuterol and anavar cycle